Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tucson, AZ - Ginny

VirginiaSch1941-2017-03-21-15-26.jpg
I was walking through the campground today and heard the strains of Procul Harem’s ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ drifting on the breeze from one of the other RV’s. How coincidental since my mother died 9 years ago today and that was one of her favorite songs (who knows why - I thought she was a Frank Sinatra sort and this song is classic rock. I think she just liked the dreamy quality of the tune.) She had Alzheimers for her last15 years and was in a local nursing home.

She loved adventure, she was up for anything, she loved to travel, she loved puns, she loved language she loved crossword puzzles but she had lost Jack’s and my name long ago and now couldn’t even feed herself.

It was a Thursday and Gary and I had intended to go up there on Friday but we got a call in the middle of the afternoon that she had taken a turn for the worse and that they had called Hospice in. We jumped in the car and drove up. Jack was there, too. We talked with Hospice and the nurses at the nursing home and it looked as if she might not last long. She didn’t and died about 7:00 the following morning with all 3 of standing around.

So, here are the lyrics here to ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ in memory of my mother who made me what I am today.

We skipped the light fandango

Turned cartwheels 'cross the floor

I was feeling kinda seasick

But the crowd called out for more

The room was humming harder

As the ceiling flew away

When we called out for another drink

The waiter brought a tray


And so it was that later

As the miller told his tale

That her face, at first just ghostly,

Turned a whiter shade of pale


She said, 'There is no reason

And the truth is plain to see.'

But I wandered through my playing cards

And would not let her be


One of sixteen vestal virgins

Who were leaving for the coast

And although my eyes were open

They might have just as well've been closed

And so it was that later

As the miller told his tale

That her face, at first just ghostly,

Turned a whiter shade of pale

And so it was that later
John%252526Virginiawithhat-Version2_WithAdjustments-2017-03-21-15-26.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment