Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Mesa, AZ - Coffee Roulette

I was walking past one of the small homes here the other day and couldn’t help but hear the song that was playing on the patio:

‘Casey would waltz with the strawberry blond

And the band played on

He’d glide ‘cross the floor with the girl he adored

And the band played on.’

And so forth. 

And, that song has stuck with me for several days now. I tried to pass it on to Gary and get him to sing it but no dice. He didn’t fall for that one. So, here I am, humming in my mind about Casey and the strawberry blond. But, I'm thinkin' that if I can pass it on to you, I'll be free of the Casey curse. So, start humming. 

Why couldn’t I have a cool song like:


Well, that’s an old tune but I still like it; the tune, the hopefulness, just a cool song. I always have a song in my head while I’m hiking. Tomorrow, I’m going to try for a better song that Casey. Maybe ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.’ That will keep my feet moving fast.


The resort we live in has 2 patio sales per season: one in November and one in February. This year, they are having one a month.  2 years ago I sold a lounge chair to someone and last year I sold an Ipad to a woman who bought it for her husband who didn’t know he wanted one. I guess it was OK since she did not bring it back. This year we have 2 cameras, a small fan and 2 plastic storage boxes. Really dull stuff, not like our neighbor who has serving pieces, matchbox cars (his hobby), 2 bikes and lots of other stuff. Actually, he shops at garage sales so that he’ll have stuff for his patio sale. Hmmm. And, he makes money at it. 

Gotta get up on time to get our things out to our ‘patio’ before 8:00 when the sales open. Actually, lots of people were tooling around on their bikes and golf carts way before 8:00 last year so I wanted to get our things out earlier than that. But, I didn’t see as many as last year but, last year, the first patio sale was in December, closer to Christmas gift giving time and later in the year when more people were here. This sale is earlier and not as many people have arrived at the resort yet nor are they thinking of Christmas gifts yet. 

Newbie mistake - we had no change. We had only one $5.00 bill and 4 $10 dollar bills (you know, most of our money is in 50’s. Ha, Ha.) Well, we know Smitty has change so, in a pinch we might be able to borrow from him. Long morning - I got 3 crossword puzzles done, sold a $5,00 fan and a $1.00 plastic crate. Most people cruised by, gave a cursory glance our way and kept right on going - on to more interesting sales. At one time a guy said, ‘chains are more interesting than cameras’ as he headed over to Smitty’s to check out his big rusty chain. Maybe we can get out in December and get more business. 

The plastic crate went to a guy who bungied it onto his back fender so he can carry stuff. 

Hey, did you see the moon the other night? WOW, what a sight.

Coffee in the morning? Of course. A must. Even out here in warm AZ, we like a cup of hot coffee in the morning. But our coffee pot is getting flaky. Sometimes we get a 6 oz cup and sometimes we get a 10 oz cup. Coffee roulette. Ya never know. Saturday we decided that our old one had to go. And, we hit Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Walmart and some other store whose name has escaped me. None that will fit on our counter. Those Keurigs are way too big. Nothing. Nada. 

Saturday night, 10:30, in bed, I get onto Amazon and order one which will be delivered on Monday afternoon. Pretty good. We not just have to find some coffee on Sunday and Monday mornings. And, so we hook up our old coffee maker and take our chances. Guess what? Our old coffee maker gives us 10 oz of coffee, 2 cups for each of us  both mornings. Now it decided to work? That’s 4 cups. Well, why are we buying a new coffee maker? Beats me. It’s Coffee Roulette. 

The coffee maker from Amazon arrived and now we have 2 working coffee makers. What to do? What to do?



Oops, which is the new one? Oh, yeah, we got an upgraded one - one with the sizes printed on the cups. I"m sure that will help it make much better coffee. 



No comments:

Post a Comment