Monday, October 10, 2016

Altoona, IA - Big Crack

No, It’s not that kind of crack. But let me start at the beginning of the day. 

I had a miserable night last night. Did I have chocolate before I went to bed? I don’t know but I sure had a hard time getting to sleep. I tossed and turned, went to the bathroom and lay there sleepless until about 2:00. 

At 5:00 I awoke - but, since we had the alarm set for 5:45, I knew I didn’t have much time to wait. 

Breakfast and we were off - for Gary’s root canal at 8:00. Gee, we just hope the dentist is awake at that hour. We probably weren’t. He was told that it would be an hour procedure so I sat in the waiting room for a while and read my book on Washington and Benedict Arnold. Then I realized that I could get a bit of walking in and headed out to the Mall. I was not the only one there. I circled the top floor and noticed 6 empty store spaces.  Ouch. 

I then headed back since it was getting near an hour. I sat in the car and, sure enough, Gary came tooking out in a few minutes. He was fine but didn’t want to do any shopping, especially since we couldn’t get into Costco for at least an hour. 

Back at home I took off for Hy Vee. Gee, I haven’t had a big shopping trip for ages - since we started up to Alaska maybe. $147 later, I was heading home. 

Made a smoothie, made a Napa chicken salad (though I think I had a baked chicken rather than a rotisserie chicken), put everything away and was ready to sit when Gary said, ‘Ooh, how did that happen?’ 

There it was, a crack which starts at the top of the passenger side and extends down 30”. We don’t know how it got there since we’ve been sitting still for 4 weeks here. 


I called our insurance company, their processing agents called me back, I took several pictures and sent them onto them.

Someone recently said that these things happen in 3’s. Well, this is our 3rd: refrigerator, washer/dryer and windshield. Of course, this isn’t counting our big problem in May when our fan housing fell off the motor. And, we’re ready to be done now. 


Interestingly I took the advice of Shirley, who had traveled to Alaska last summer, and lowered our deductible $500 before we started our Alaska trip. I have the policy on my desk but just haven’t taken the time to change it back to $1000. Luckily, I’m a procrastinator. That should save us some money. Thank you, Shirley. 

That’s got to be the only good thing to come out of this. 


We watched the debate between Hillary and Donald in the evening. Hmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment