Sunday, April 3, 2016

San Francisco, CA - Flat on my Back and Bored Out of My Mind.

OK, what have I been doing these last few days that I haven’t been able to get a blog out? Well, the title above says it all. I’ve told you about my bum knee but that’s getting better every day. I can mark the improvement by little victories. One day I had to ask Gary to tie my shoelaces and the next I could actually lean down and tie my own. One day I had to ask him to dry my left foot when I got out of the shower, the next I could dry my own by bending down and putting the towel under the and rubbing, the next I could actually dry my own left foot by lifting it up. One day I had to take each step one step at at time and the next I could actually use my left foot on its own step. Little steps and I knew I was getting better. Meanwhile I had gone to an orthopedic surgeon and he had given my a special knee brace with a joint at the knee. Much better than the one I had gotten at the hospital.

Then, one morning I awoke and my left elbow hurt a bit. I thought I had slept on it wrong and, since the pain disappeared by breakfast, I thought nothing of it. The next morning it hurt again along with my left shoulder blade. And, the pain did not go away. I took 2 Tylenol, no relief. 4 hours later I next took Aspirin, no relief. In the evening we headed to the drugstore and bought some Aleve. No relief. Meanwhile I could find relief by laying flat on my back on the bed, with my arms at my sides staring at the ceiling.

The next day was the same thing. No relief until I laid down, flat on my back in bed staring at the ceiling. Finally, after 2 days flat on my back, I went back to the hospital. (I wish that clinics in the area would accept Medicare but they don’t so, since I have no doctor in the area, I am reduced to hitting the hospital emergency room. At a clinic, I’d see a doctor who could diagnose my problem and possibly tell me what the problem was and tell me how to fix it. At the hospital they took x-rays, gave me some pain pills and gave me a recommendation for a doctor. A two-step process. Ah, well, it is what it is.) They examined me, took some x-rays, gave me a sling for my arm, a prescription for pain pills and a recommendation for a doctor - the same one I’m already seeing.

And, that’s where I stand now. At least with the pain pills, I am able to do something besides looking at the ceiling in bed. We actually went to the Jack London State Park and toured the museum and his farm there. Here you an see me with all my extras. Doesn’t this person look like a sad case?
unknown-2016-04-3-20-56.jpg
Much better. And, a blog of that visit will follow. (Imagine what others touring the London farm think when they see me with a sling and knee brace.) However, along with the pain in my shoulder and elbow is a loss of some strength in my fingers and typing is not as fast now. The plot thickens. Personally I’m hoping it is bursitis brought on by my fall in the bay. That is certainly the best case scenario.

However, I’ve learned that 1/2 of the pain pill is best for me. The first day with the pills was fine but I took a whole pill the morning of the second day and lost every cookie I had eaten. Not pleasant. Light headed and loss of cookies. I quickly learned that I only need 1/2 a pill.

I have an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday. When he asks about my knee - I’ll tell him that it’s fine - now, check my shoulder and elbow.

By the way, on a completely different subject - note that I am in shorts in the picture above. The temps in San Francisco are 15 - 20 degrees warmer than usual. For two more days and then they hit the mid 60's which is normal. Beautiful weather. Great for hiking and touring. Oh, shucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment