Saturday, April 16, 2016

Crescent City, CA - Lefty #2

My aunt Betty called this evening and asked how I was doing after my ‘swim’ in the bay in Sausalito. Well,  just fine, I told her and I’m sorry that I haven’t conveyed it in my blog which she reads. So, here it is for everyone. I am doing just fine. First off, my knee is getting much better. I can tie my shoes, I can dry my own foot after a shower and, best of all, I’ve been able to resume hiking - with a knee brace on, of course. When we’re just going to walk I can go without the brace and figure I’m giving my knee some much needed exercise. Now, I just need to find out where I can donate the crutches and hospital knee brace (which the doctor replaced with this stronger one I use now).

My left arm is getting much better also. My shoulder doesn’t hurt any more and my elbow just hurts at 4:00 in the morning when it wants to wake me up to be uncomfortable. Actually, I sleep on my stomach and bend my left elbow to put under my head - this is probably why it hurts then.

My left hand and fingers: well, they are improving. I can do some exercises like making a fist, like touching each finger to my thumb and pressing as hard as I can and like flexing them a bit. I can do these exercises while I’m sitting in the RV or while we’re walking. I also have some exercises that I do with the theraputty and with a 1’ long 1 1/2” thick rubber baton that I do lots of the time. On the other hand, sometimes I get a bit impatient with my left hand, well, really, that my left hand doesn’t do what it used to be able to do. There are small funny little things like I can’t do as well as I used to be able: I can’t get the little hook on my bra into the little hole without some effort, I can’t tie my shoes as tight as I used to be able to do, buttons are hard since they involve fine finger skills. But, I’m working on it. It’s coming.

So, things are progressing. My knee is getting better and we’re back walking and hiking. My hand is getting better and I’m typing this blog and doing my exercises. I see progress all the time. But, you know, if my progress stops now, I’ll be a happy camper. I can do everything I want to: maybe it takes a bit longer and maybe it’s not as ‘graceful’ as it used to be. But, hey, life is good.

Meanwhile my aunt visited a friend last weekend and sewed two quilts on her friends huge sewing thingy (I don’t know the special terms for these things though I’ve seen some of them.) Now - her back hurts so much that she wants to sit most of the time. Walking and standing hurt. She’s had an MRI and is waiting for the results so the doctor can help her improve.

BUT - next week she is going to Quilting Camp. Yep, you read that right, Quilting Camp. 3 days of quilting with a bunch of ladies (maybe men too) who like to quilt. Sharing ideas, working on their quilts, learning new techniques. What a blast. They don’t play BINGO, they play QUILTO. Sounds like a lot of fun and just the thing for her.

Sounds like a place for you, Sherron.

No comments:

Post a Comment