Saturday, March 26, 2016

San Francisco, CA - No Polkas for Me

Things are going well around here. I keep looking at my knee and hoping that I can see my knee cap. Today I can actually see the outlines of it through the swelling. Tomorrow - who knows?
By this time I am well aware of what I can do and what I cannot do:

        No, I am not going to pick that piece of paper up off the floor - not unless I learn some new ballet moves

        No, I am not going to join the Marin County polka club

        Yes, I am going to move slowly around the RV

        Yes, I am going to take a very short walk around the park here.

I felt well enough to go out for breakfast today and we hit Boudin’s, a branch of the famous Sourdough Bakery on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. I had expected it to be packed since the SF branch is always packed and so are other bakery/restaurants like Panera on a Saturday. But, no, we were the second table in the place and only three others groups took tables before we left. Hmmm, wonder why. Delicious breakfast: turkey and broccoli scramble with flavored potato wedges and a slice of their sourdough bread. Now, I’ll admit that we shared this BUT then headed over to their ‘treats’ section where I got a chocolate twist croissant and Gary got an almond croissant. I've had croissants with a teaspoon of chocolate in them - some of the chocolate in this one was oozing out. Excellent food and we’ll go back.

Then on to errands. We were told at the Jeep dealer that we had to return on Monday to get another key fob for me - remember, I lost mine in the drink. Safeway for some groceries and Trader Joe’s. I get all kinds of reactions when people see me on crutches with a knee brace on. Most are well-wishers, hoping that I’m on my way to recovery. I always answer that I am and that it looks a lot worse than it is. Some seem more interested so I relate my sad tale of mis-adventure. (Yesterday, I said something about 'falling' off a dock, Gary laughed and said ‘you stepped off a dock.’ Ha, ha.) But I always summarize by saying that it could have been lots worse. I could have hit my head, I could have broken my jaw, I could have broken bones but - nope I just have a bum knee. Life is good.

Gary has been a marvelous help. I couldn’t have asked for a better nurse. But he’s also taken it upon himself to clean the house, cook the meals and wash the dishes. What a guy but he asks questions that I have a hard time answering. He wants to know exact directions for each of the meals we have:

        How much milk do you put in?

        How many apples and bananas and strawberries do you put into the smoothie?

        How long do you cook it?

But, I don’t know. My methods are:

        Til it looks smooth enough

        Until the Vitamix is full

        Until it’s done.

I guess I’m been doing this for so long that I just follow my instincts. Personally, I consider recipes as a good start with some good ingredients. Now, what do I want to do with it? But Gary wants to make it just like I do and wants exact amounts, exact cooking times and exact directions. So, I try to come up with some exact directions for him:

        1 cup

        3 apples

        20 minutes

But, you know, it’s just a guess. But he's such a great guy.

Now, I try to steer away from politics in my blog. But, I know that there are interesting choices coming in November and I saw this chart as a great way to help everyone make up their minds. Simple, concise and easy to follow.

unknown-2016-03-26-13-18.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment