Thursday, March 24, 2016

San Francisco, CA - Gary, Could You Please...?

Gary,

        Could you please get me a glass of water?

        Could you please bring me some ice?

        Could you please bring me my crutches?

Hey, maybe this being immobile isn’t all bad. Maybe I could get used to this. Not only can he bring me things, he cooks the meals and washes the dishes. What a guy.

I slept well last night - I hadn’t expected to since my leg hurt and I reasoned that every time I turned over, it would throb and wake me up. But, no, I must have stayed pretty immobile since I don’t remember being awakened by pain. However, in the morning, I was ready to visit the nearby urgent care clinic. I slowly got dressed and we headed out. Only 1.6 miles so it didn’t take too long. but - they don’t take Medicare or Mutual of Omaha insurance - ‘none of the local urgent care clinics do,’ we were informed. So - off we headed to the emergency room of the local hospital. Is this a sheepish look or what?
20160324-IMG_8784-2016-03-24-18-32.jpg
Checked in, got my wrist band (note the ‘fall risk tab.)
20160324-IMG_8785-2016-03-24-18-32.jpg
and into my own special little room. We waited a short while and the PA came in - laughed and said I sure had a big boo boo.
20160324-IMG_8789-2016-03-24-18-32.jpg
Must be California talk. He scheduled an X-ray and we began to wait. And, wait. And, wait. Finally, after about 45 minutes, I got in and the explanation for the wait was that they had several trauma patients with broken bones and other more urgent problems than a bum knee: one had a compound fracture of his tibia and the other had crushed his hand. They are right. I can wait. The X-rays showed nothing so I was given a pair of crutches, a knee brace and sent home with instructions and the name of a local Dr to call for an appointment on Monday.

Check out this picture of my knees. Guess which one is the problem. Yep, the one without a kneecap showing.
20160324-IMG_8786-2016-03-24-18-32.jpg

And, now home. Believe you me, mu knee just loves that Velcro knee brace. It hold my knee steady and thus it doesn’t hurt when I twist it or bend it while I’m trying to walk or whatever. Now, I’m at home, resting and enjoying the maid service.
20160324-IMG_1898-2016-03-24-18-32.jpg
I can keep him busy. Maybe cleaning the house. Oh, yeah, and washing the dishes.

Me for RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation.

No comments:

Post a Comment