Sunday, March 13, 2016

Hughson, CA - Family and Food

This blog is going to be about food. We’re getting together with family that we haven’t seen for 2 years and the food will be omnipresent.

We awoke several times during the night hearing rain on the roof of the RV. And, when we awoke on Sunday it had changed to a heavy rain. We had expected it since it was in the forecast but, still, had hoped that it might hold off or bypass us. Oh, well, we had a big breakfast of scrambled eggs and veggies with pineapple salsa, fruit and yogurt and an English muffin with peanut butter and jelly. My favorite breakfast. We packed up and hit the road about 11:00. Rain all the way. In fact, central California has had quite a bit of rain recently. The drought isn’t over and the reservoirs are still low but it’s a start. We noticed that there was lots of standing water near the fields and in open areas.
20160313-IMG_1418-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
OK, here’s the food and family part.

We arrived at my Aunt Betty’s home in Hughson a bit after noon. Hugs and kisses all around. We haven’t seen her for 2 years since we journeyed around the Southeast last winter and summer. We chatted a while and then settled in her driveway. In the evening she had invited some of my cousins over and we had a sumptuous dinner: baked breaded chicken, potato salad, lettuce salad and then my cousin Jeff had made a chocolate dessert with all the right ingredients: hazelnuts, Oreo crust, dark chocolate, dried bing cherries - I don’t think he could have made it any richer. Meanwhile Betty had bought a Strawberry pie at Church (where they were celebrating pi day) so we had a choice: chocolate pie or strawberry pie. And, you all know what we all chose: a slice of each.
20160313-IMG_1428-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Gary got a cool family photo afterwards. In back we’ve got me with Jeff, my cousin, Robert, his partner, and Big Gar. In front are my Aunt Betty, Judy, her sister, Susan, my cousin and Troy, her husband. Troy bought some bees when he was younger and now makes his living with his bees, traveling all over central California to fruit groves and fields with his bees who are busy pollinating. Every time I hear about bees, I think of Susan and Troy.

The next morning, we met Betty about 9:00, went out for breakfast (here’s that part about food again) and then through downtown Hughson where they have a great dried fruit and vegetable store. A local family owns lots of fruit trees and vegetable fields and dries their produce to sell. Apricots, pluots, apples, strawberries, lemons, figs, oranges, raisins, bing cherries, nectarines, peaches - you name it, they dry it and sell it. Pecans, almonds, lots of other things. too. In fact, I can look in my pantry and see several of their products. I couldn’t resist. Here are Betty and I with a huge package of dried nectarines. Umm - mm.
20160314-IMG_1429-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
We then headed over to the cemetery where Chuck, my uncle and Betty’s husband is buried. She had bought a cute frog to put on his grave. He loved frogs and their house was filled with little ceramic and cloth frogs. She sure misses him and his cool sense of humor. I wish I had gotten to know him better but we lived in Iowa while they lived in California. Why, oh, why, did I move to New England when I finished college and not out to California? I want a do-over. On the other hand, the Navy moved Gary out to Rhode Island, where I lived and, if I had moved to CA, I would not have married him. Hmmm, let me think about that.
20160314-IMG_1434-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg 20160314-IMG_1433-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Gary notice our cool matching footwear as he was taking the picture. See, I told you I was a fashion maven. I learned everything I know from Betty.
20160314-IMG_1436-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Then we went back and she showed us her Alaska pictures and told us all about her 2-month trip to Alaska 2 summers ago. She and a friend took her friend’s 19’ RV up to Alaska via the Inner Passage, drove all over Alaska and then came home via North Dakota where her friend owned a farm. A long trip but they both had a blast.

OK, we’ve had breakfast out, why not have dinner out? Betty knew of a good restaurant and we headed over. Oops, it’s closed on Monday. She had us drive to another one. Oops, it’s closed on Monday. Well, why not Panera? Sure enough, it was open and we all had soup and a sandwich.
I told you there was going to be lots of food.
20160314-IMG_1437-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Funny, the Susan, Betty’s daughter and her husband, Troy, arrived with some friends to eat in Panera too. We talked a bit and then headed back to Betty’s.

In the morning, we brought over our breakfast and ate with Betty
20160315-IMG_1438-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
followed with a tour of her RV. She bought it used and her son, Dave, fixed it all up for her. He repaired parts in the engine, put in shelves and cupboards, made a table and did lots of other things to make it comfortable. The table is pretty special. Dave and his wife Connie (who are in Mexico right now) snuck into Betty’s home, stole lots of family. pictures and then decoupaged them to her table.
20160315-IMG_1440-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Here’s one when they came across the country from Oklahoma during the Great Depression. Here are Betty’s mother and 2 sisters along with Betty’s brother - cooking a hot dog on a stick over a fire in a can.
20160315-IMG_1442-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Here we are at her house (our favorite campground: free electricity and free wi-fi) parked next to her RV.
20160315-IMG_1446-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
Finally, it was time to head out. Until next time we see her.
20160315-IMG_1449-2016-03-16-21-40.jpg
And, did I mention that there was going to be lots of food?

No comments:

Post a Comment