Saturday, October 31, 2015

Mesa, AZ - Passes

It’s a beautiful day, the sun is out, the weather is fine, I have water in my Camelback and my camera over my shoulder - must be time for a hike. It’s been several days since the last one and we’re itching for a walk in the desert. Oh, yeah, and up into the mountains. It’s been 2 years since we’ve been in this area and we’re going through our favorite hikes. Today it’s a 9.5 miler (still working up to hiking shape) which goes over 2 passes and then circles back to the trailhead. It’s a popular area, it’s Saturday and so we got up early and headed out to get a parking place. Later in the morning, it might be a bit more difficult - then, horror of horrors, we’d have to walk to the parking lot and then to the trailhead and then on the hike. Imagine that!

Only in Scottsdale would there be little white reflectors to separate the parking spaces.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-25-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Here's another observation in Scottsdale': we found gas at $2.35 at one gas station and gas at $1.88 at another. Gotta check Gas Buddy when you're buying gas these days. But, it's not just Scottsdale, it's everywhere.

As we thought, we had to take a number to get on the trail. Lots of people: families, couples, friends, tourists but lots of locals getting their weekly desert hike in. Beautiful views all around. And the park volunteers carefully strew rocks around to make it look natural. Ha, Ha. No, Nancy, this is the way the desert looks. The volunteers have enough to do without carefully placing the rocks.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-23-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
As if just hiking in nature wasn’t enough for inspiration, we passed Inspiration Point and found this rock.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-20-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Windgate was the first pass we were supposed to cross. As we rounded every corner we looked ahead. Holy schmoly, where is that pass? The last sign said 1.1 miles, haven’t we gone further than that? Hey, there it is. Nope, there it is straight ahead. Oh, cripes, maybe the next crest. Up there, I see it. Oof-da. Here we are. 3031’. Note how rested Gary looks, like he’s had a stroll in the park. Then, there’s me - with my hair matted to my head. I’m holding onto the stake to hold myself up memorizing that emergency marker number in case I need it.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-13-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg


HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-15-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Time for a bar break - you know, a protein bar. And, now, it’s all down from here. Then we checked the next pass, Bell Pass -3206’ - oh, shucks, higher than Windgate. And, why are we heading down from Windgate Pass - only to have to climb higher to get to Bell? Do I sound like I’m complaining? Nah, I’m just trying to be smart. We’ve done this hike before, both clockwise and counter-clockwise. Besides, how could I ever complain with views like this?

There are the 4 peaks off in the background on one side of the pass - at least 40 miles away.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-11-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
And, the Valley of the Sun on the other side looking towards Scottsdale and Phoenix. Pretty hazy that way. I wonder why (no question mark here).
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-7-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
But the intermediate views are scrumptious too.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-9-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Although, I had forgotten the long straight haul up to Bell Pass. Sure enough, that little detail had just flown out of my mind. It was a bit of a slog and I got passed on the trail by 4 women half my age. Shucks, I hate to be passed but, as I get older, it happens more often. But, there we were at the top of Bell Pass with the views down into the Valley of the Sun before us. What a climb. What a view. Maybe in a few weeks, we’ll do this one again.

Down the hill now. Actually, counter-clockwise is the most difficult, with the steepest pitch. Maybe that’s why I prefer going clockwise. But then I’ve got to get down this steep stretch with all the slippery little rocks to skid and slide under my feet. Gotta have those hiking poles. Gary bounds down much faster than I. He hikes down the hill. I carefully place each foot as I plod down. When he turns around to see where I am, I tell him I’ve been taking pictures.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-3-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
We saw some perfect saguaros at attention next to each other guarding the trail up to the Pass.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-2-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Here’s a nest cradled in the sturdy arms of this saguaro.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-5-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Down at the trailhead, we take a drink, take off our packs and head back home. Another hike, another great day in the desert Southwest.
HikingWingatePass%252526BellPass-1-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Hey, did you see that great Iowa State football game? Oh, yeah, of course not, it’s just an Iowa State game. They hardly ever make live TV. But, they were playing a Texas team so maybe. Actually, I did what I usually do when Iowa State plays: I go online, type ‘Iowa State Football’ into the Google search engine and the score of the latest game shows up on the screen. During the game, I just hit the little ‘refresh’ circle to keep up with the game. Simple, but not really satisfying.

Today after our hike, as usual, I turned on my computer, went online and typed in ‘Iowa State Football’ and looked at the score. My eyes wandered down the page a bit and I saw that the Texas Longhorns, Iowa State’s opponent, had live streaming of the game. Well, what the heck, I’m on the resort wi-fi, I might as well see what I can get. Hey, it’s the game. It’s really on. Whoo-eee. What fun. And, what a game it was. Iowa State has a 2-5 record (well, you ought to see their schedule) and I probably wasn’t expecting much. But they had a touchdown, then a field goal, then another touchdown and an intercepted pass for a final touchdown. ISU had put in a new starting quarterback and he was throwing passes all over the place. 3rd and long and he rifles a pass right into the arms of the back running between 2 defenders. And, the defense wasn’t slacking - they held the Longhorns scoreless. 24-0 was the final score. Hard to believe and what a great game for the team. 5 losses they’ve had, it’s time for an ego-boosting win. And what a win.
ComputerStreamingRadioBroadcastIowaStShutsOutTXLonghorns-1-2015-10-31-19-58.jpg
Oh, we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State
And may her colors ever fly.
Oh, we will fight with might for Iowa State
With the will to do or die!
Rah, Rah, Rah
Loyal sons (fans) forever true
And we will fight that battle through.
And when we hit the line we'll hit it hard,
every yard for I-S-U!

No comments:

Post a Comment