Monday, May 25, 2015

Port Republic, NJ - How Much Excitement Can We Endure?

Today the goal was to wash and wax the RV. But, we washed & waxed the side on the west, away from the sun, planning to do the east side in the afternoon. Ah, a break in the middle - and that’s when my Sweet Hugga Bunch said, ‘I suppose you want to do the Jeep, too.’ Well, no, I had planned to take it through the car wash in town. But, we got the Jeep done today too. Just too much excitement.

On the other hand, we’re here in Port Republic to get some things done that we’ve been putting off for a while and this qualifies.

Our friends who are traveling to Alaska this summer mentioned that the prices for food are much higher in Alaska than in the lower 48 states - obviously, it takes much more gas to get the food up there. As proof of this they sent us this picture. Should this be ‘Buck and a Quarter Tree’?
unknown-2015-05-25-22-15.jpg
They stocked up while they were still in the states and now they are ‘rolling’ down the road.

We have found several places to walk around Port Republic. One day we walked in PR it self and found this solar array around the cemetery. Now, I’m not sure how a cemetery needs solar panels. What are they doing at night?
SolarPanelsinCemetery_DotheDeadHaveElectricBlankets%25253F--2015-05-25-22-15.jpg
We drove by an LPGA tournament on our way to breakfast but this is the closest we ever got. They were shuttling fans in from all of the school, city park, library, and city hall parking lots from all the small towns around -
PassingbyaLPGATournament-1-2015-05-25-22-15.jpg
On the other hand, this breakfast was delicious. Because we travel and want good places to eat, I always use Yelp as my resource. Shea’s turned up as the best in the area and, judging by the line and the wait at 10:00 on a Tuesday morning, they must be right. Now, I know - they are the best. All of this for the amazing price of $4.95. Spiced home fries, huge home-made biscuits, scrambled eggs and then they even put some orange slices and parsley on the plate to add that little extra oomph.
GoodCheapBreakfast_InJersey%252521--2015-05-25-22-15.JPG
I wear a fitness gadget on my wrist called a Misfit Shine. Clever little gadget, measures my footsteps, mileage, elevation, calories used and matches it all against a goal that I have pre-set. It coordinates with an app on our IPhone and then keeps records for each day, week and month. On top of that it also measures my sleep patterns. When I wake I sync with the IPhone and can tell how much ‘restful’ sleep I’ve had for the night. That’s probably just interesting information since I really can’t do much to change that but the activity monitoring is quite useful.

Of course, when the activity monitor says just a bit under my goal, I’m off trying to get up to the goal - sometimes I take the trash out, sometimes I make another circle of the campground. Gary and I walk every day, usually 4+miles but sometimes we might not walk. Now, I’ve got to get to my goal and that gets us walking every day. If I’m close to my daily goal and it’s dark out, you can find me walking the 12 paces from the front of out RV to the real of the RV and back again, to get up to my goal.

Then, a real surprise, I got this e-mail from Misfit, the company:

‘This is Percy from Misfit. Our records indicate that the battery of your Misfit device is currently at a very low level. 
We want you to have an uninterrupted experience of using our product, so allow us to send you a battery and a battery replacement tool, both free of charge. If you are interested, please take a moment to fill out this Google form to confirm your mailing address.

We will ship your replacement battery within a few days once the form is submitted.’

Are you kidding? Actually, we had just changed the battery but - what service this is. Of course,they get the info when I sync every day.

‘I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.’

                                Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment