Monday, July 21, 2014

West Yellowstone, MT - 73 Bottles of Bear on the Wall

We moved from Deer Lodge to West Yellowstone today. We actually have a reservation in Flagg Ranch between the Tetons and Yellowstone beginning on Wednesday but found ourselves with 2 days between reservations and decided to move closer to Yellowstone. Our goal was a Forest Service campground just north of W. Yellowstone which is quite popular and we were worried that it might be full. So, we left early and drove straight through. Beautiful territory.
DeerLodgetoEnnis-23-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
Rolling hills interspersed with mountains that still have bits of snow on them. Irrigated deep green fields interspersed with fields being baled.
DeerLodgetoEnnis-7-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
Hey, this makes it look just like Iowa, our home state. We’ve both seen this countless times.
DeerLodgetoEnnis-16-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
Weaving up canyons to the passes and then swerving down the other side. We noticed that the chain up areas were about 2 semis long - must be an indication that there isn’t as much traffic on Interstate 90 as on Interstate 70 and 80.

We turned off Interstate 90 and took a state highway and got to our destination about noon. We knew there were some electric sites but not where so we unhooked the Jeep and circled around. Surprise, surprise, they were all taken so we backed into a dry camping site and set up. This didn’t take long since there wasn’t much to do.
OurCampsiteatBakerHoleCampground-3-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
We had lunch while we watched the rain and hail hit our newly clean Jeep and RV. Donning our raincoats, we then headed into West Yellowstone to see if we could get see the IMAX movie and hit the National Park Visitor Center.

At the VC, we were in luck, a talk on animal safety with an emphasis on bear safety had just begun. We snuck in and listened. Let me backtrack a bit. We lived in New England for a long time and I remember when they introduced bears back into Yellowstone and a few other parks. And not just bears but grizzlies. Then they reintroduced wolves. The goals are good: to ensure a whole ecosystem so that no one element gets out of kilter. Predators like these will help keep other animals in check. To me, living in Massachusetts, it was pretty academic. Now, as I set out to hike in Yellowstone, it becomes much more personal. When we hike in those areas with bears we do wear bear bells, we do talk more loudly and we do carry bear spray. But, as I’m jingling along, I’m wondering: why am I wearing the bells? Why don’t the grizzlies wear bells?

Meanwhile, the talk was quite good. The big advice was to stay a long ways away from bears, bison, elk and other animals. But, if you’re innocently hiking along and do happen to encounter a bear: back away silently if the bear hasn’t noticed you. But, definitely, don't’ run, just stand there looking big, talking to the bear and backing off slowly. If he charges you - maybe he’s just trying to scare you and will veer off right before he gets to you. Just stand there being calm. Oh, yeah, right. A bear charges me and I’m supposed to stand there saying to myself, ‘I’m not bear food, he doesn’t want to eat me.’ I can say that all I want but who’s going to tell the bear. Has he listened to the Ranger lecture? Do they have special classes for bears. Does he know that he’s supposed to veer off right before he reaches me?

However, all kidding aside. Bears can be frightening and two people actually died in 2011 from bears. I don’t know all the particulars but we do carry bear spray which is very effective, we are aware of where we are hiking and I’m singing and on the 27th verse of ’99 Bottles of Bear on the Wall.’ Oops, maybe that’s ‘beer’ on the wall - don't want to dis the bears in their park.

We heard that bears strip off tree bark to get at the cambium layer underneath. Here are 2 trees near our campsite. Don’t I feel all warm and comfy?
BearSigns%25253F-2-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg BearSigns%25253F-1-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
And here is the sign we passed as we drove in to camp.
ComfortingSigninOurCampground--2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
Hmmm. let me think about camping here a bit longer. (Interesting - we are camping in Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone where ONLY hard sided RV’s are allowed because of the bears in the area.)

By this time, we’ve missed the IMAX movie so we walk through town to get our miles in. I think we’re the only ones without bags of souvenirs. I think it’s required when one walks through West Yellowstone to carry bags (plural) of souvenirs. Oh, yeah, it began to rain again and we ducked under the awning of the local zip line/climbing wall / etc.

And then there was the ice cream. Gary was working on his smart phone trying to get some 3G action so I went in to order: a small cup of moose tracks for me and a cookie dough for him. The young man who waited on me was really new - like this was his first order. He held up a 4” tall white foam cup’ ‘like this?’ he asked. Sure, I said and he proceeded to fill it full. My eyes are bugging out and, reluctantly, I said, ‘just put 2 spoons in that one and we’ll share. We don’t need two.’ Only $2.50. WOW. I’m sure it was a mistake and someone will tell him how ‘large’ to make them in the future. But, as it was, I lucked out.

We saw this special vehicle, good for the Police in a town with lots of snow.
LawEnforcementisNecessaryEvenWhenSnowClosesRoads--2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
It’s heading into 7 pm and time to head back to the RV. And, by the way, did I mention the rain?
Hail%25252CRain%25252CandRainbow-6-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
Sure enough the hail, the wind, the rain, the thunder and the lightening aren’t done with us yet. Meanwhile, there are RV’s circling the campground looking for a free spot for them. I don’t mind their circling, we had to circle too. What I do mind is the speed with which they circle. Don’t they realize that there are kids around? Don’t they realize that there are people out there around the next corner walking their dog? What are they thinking?
OurCampsiteatBakerHoleCampground-1-2014-07-21-21-32.jpg
In case you’re wondering, Tom, our brother-in-law, has finished his 400+ mile bike ride across the Continental Divide, told us that he has had a haircut and shave and looks human again. We can’t wait to talk with him to find out how it went. But, right now we have no service.

In another travel adventure, my aunt Betty took off on the 12th with her friend Roxanne, for Alaska. I think they are both on the other side of 75 in an RV but they’re on their way. They both are quilters and have two (count them - 2) sewing machines in the RV and, should they find some neat quilting shoppes, they’re ready. They get to the ferry on the 26th. I’m sure that they will have a great time. Betty likes adventure and can enjoy anything and anyone and I’m sure Roxanne is just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment