Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Quartzsite, AZ - 41 Years

I’m going to begin the blog today with a trip in the Way Back Machine to winter 1972. Gary and I lived in Rhode Island and had driven back to Iowa, where our families lived, for Christmas. 24 hours straight through, 26 if there was snow around Lake Erie, which was usually the case. When we arrived in Iowa, we were zonked. Now, we had planned to return in April for our wedding but we probably didn’t want to make that same trip in April, 4 months away. So, Gary and I, my parents and his parents all had dinner at my parents home on a Thursday evening and somehow, along about 9:00, we all had decided that Gary and I should get married on Monday, January 1, 1973. 3 days waiting period to get a license and 3 days to plan a wedding.

Friday, after Gary and I rushed to the hospital for our blood tests, Gary rushed the results to our doctors while Gary’s father and I rushed to the County Clerk for our wedding licenses. We made it before noon when the office was supposed to close for the holiday weekend. I stalled, filling in the forms very slowly waiting for Gary to arrive with the information from the doctor. Whew! He made it about 12:10 but I still was filling in that darn form. At 12:15 we had our license and the Clerk’s office closed for the holiday weekend.

Next we rushed to the mall to buy some clothes to get married in while my mother planned the meal, the flowers, the church, etc. Oops, we also made a visit to the minister to discuss our compatibility. I guess we passed the tests because he married us on Monday, 3 days later at 12:30. (the waiting period between license and wedding was 3 days and, on the way to the church I stopped at the County Clerk’s home where she had left the marriage license in her mail box at 12:15 and proceeded to the church.

Here’s a picture of the wedding party: my parents, Gary and I, Gary’s parents.
Nancy%252526Gary%252526ParentsatWedding-2014-01-1-17-21.jpg
And, why is the bride the only one who did not get the clothing memo: red white and blue. There she is in brown, ecru and orange. Yecch - must have been the 70’s.
Nancy%252526Garyweddingportrait-2014-01-1-17-21.jpg
I’m thinking this couple looks too young to be getting married.

My mother and father told us that they would give us $3000 for a wedding and no wedding gift or finance a small wedding and give us $3000 for a trip somewhere. Not even a choice for Gary and me. We chose the small wedding and held the dinner and reception in my parent’s home. In the end there were 23 of us, Gary and I, the minister and his wife and the organist, along with 9 guests from each side. About 10 years later, Gary and I finally got around to spending that $3000 on a trip to England with my mother and father. Great trip. We’re so glad my parents gave us a choice: like the credit card commercial says: priceless.

Our honeymoon was spent in the car, driving back to Rhode Island where I had to be at work Wednesday morning. We left the reception early, drove to Terra Haute, Indiana where we crashed, woke at 9:00 and resumed our drive.

And, so we got married on January 1, 41 years ago. Today is our anniversary and to celebrate we are driving to Quartzsite for the night. And, where would you rather spend your anniversary? Hawaii? Cancun? Europe? Nah, how about boondocking on the desert?

Economical wedding, economical honeymoon. Lasting marriage.

And, here’s my favorite anniversary song - by the Cowboy Junkies. This is a departure from their usual wistful, sweetly sad melancholy tone.

"Anniversary Song"

Have you ever seen a sight as beautiful
as that of the rain-soaked purple
of the white birch in spring?

Have you ever felt more fresh or wonderful
than on a warm fall night
under a Mackerel sky,
the smell of grapes on the wind?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And I'll share them all for a cup of coffee
and to wear your ring

Have you ever had the pleasure of watching
a quiet winter's snow slowly gathering
like simple moments adding up?

Have you ever satisfied a gut feeling
to follow a dry dirt road that's beckoning you
to the heart of a shimmering summer's day?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And I'll share them all for a cup of coffee
and to wear your ring

And I don't know how I survived those days
before I held your hand
Well I never thought that I would be the one
to admit that the moon and the sun
shine so much more brighter when
seen through two pairs of eyes than
when seen through just one

Have you ever seen a sight as beautiful
as a face in a crowd of people
that lights up just for you?

Have you ever felt more fresh or wonderful
as when you wake
by the side of that boy or girl
who has pledged their love to you?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And now every morning there's a cup of coffee
and I wear your ring.

Thanks, Gary, for 41 wonderful years.

2 comments:

  1. no one stays married for 41 years unless they're from Iowa! Congrats and many more. We're looking forward to seeing you later in the year. Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, those who have 45 years together must also be from Iowa. Congrats to both of you too. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete