Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mesa, AZ - Another Leak?

We really enjoy our new floor in the RV. It looks so plush and matches the furniture so well. Since my father majored in forestry in college and was a lumberman all his life, I come by my love of wood honestly. Does it show dust more than the varicolored tile that we had before? Oh, my, not a comparison. As much as I love the sun, when it shines in, it shows every little flake of dust on this floor. I will need to run the mop over the floor every other day, if not every day but that takes so little time and the floor looks so good that it will be a pleasure. Well, not a ‘pleasure’ but not a hardship. Maybe, if I weren’t so prissy. But, I cannot deny my nature, I can only blame it on my mother.

In fact, today was one of those days with the dust mop. And, lo and behold, I was dry mopping in the bathroom and noticed a bit of water around the bottom of the toilet. ‘Gary’ I said, making repairs my way - by calling in the troops. He took a look and, after a bit of study, realized that the hose which feeds the toilet from our water tank had a leak in it. Something about an ‘O’ ring. Oh, great. He just finished repairing a leak in the shower and now he gets to ply his trade on a lead in the toilet. Luckily, it was clean water that was leaking. Last year a friend of ours had just about the same problem and had to buy the exact same repair kit that we had to buy. Thanks, Jerry. Gary called him, they discussed it and Gary was now on his way, he had the part number, he had some hints and he had leak knowledge.

Friday afternoon at 3:30 - what do you think our chances of getting this part are? Slim to none, I’ll bet. Gary had already called Camping World and they did not have the repair kit. So we tooled over to the La Mesa RV service department. The young man there wasn’t quite sure what we needed and said they did not have it but Gary was persistent and finally he said that he did have a supplier who had one. And this supplier was only a mile away. Whoo-eee. Pay dirt.

Saturday rolled around and Gary was thrilled about working on the toilet. I could see his eyes glistening with excitement - or were those tears?

Whatever, he methodically set about his work, taking it apart, cleaning it thoroughly, replacing the gear mechanisms and finally putting it all back together and into the bathroom. He finished up about 3:00.

Me, I had run some errands. Most errands just take time. But finding spice drops is becoming a challenge. Gary likes spice drops and we think that Brach's are the best. However, most stores have their own brand and do not stock Brach's. That’s ok, we can live with the store brands but at least they should stock them. We look throughout the candy displays and usually only find the spice drops sign, under an empty shelf. ‘Oh, yes, that is our most popular candy’ we hear. Well, if it is your most popular candy, why don’t you order more of it? A mystery. Today, I stopped at three stores - no Brach's and I found spice drops only at the last place I stopped. Natch.

1 comment:

  1. Gary and Nancy - i just read through your December posts - my what a month you've had!!! Wanted to wish you both a Merry Christmas!! By the way, where will you be for Christmas this year?

    ReplyDelete