Thursday, February 21, 2013

WDM, IA - Snow, Snow and More Snow

I’m sure that most of you have heard of the snowstorm that is rumbling through the Midwest and then on towards the East coast. And, don’t they need another storm out there? The predictions were for the storm to start about 3 pm so, when we awoke at 7 am, my sweet lovin’ honey bun leaned over and said in his dulcet tones, ‘Since it’s going to snow later, how about doing our walk in the mall right after breakfast and getting it done before the stores open?’ Heavens, I thought he was going to ask me if I’d like breakfast in bed. Not my Big Gar, he was focused on our daily exercise. Well, no, I don’t want to walk but, if we have to, how about some fruit and yogurt before we go and stopping for a bagel and coffee at Panera, at one end of the mall, after we walk?

snowshoveling_full-2013-02-21-22-21.jpg
royalty-free-winter-clipart-illustration-93476-2013-02-21-22-21.jpgAnd, that’s the plan. But, then we detoured into the Apple store and bought an I Pad Mini for me so Gary could have my regular I Pad. Obviously, that took some time and we left the mall about 1:30, had lunch at home and, sure enough, the storm started about 3:00, right on schedule.

Then friends or ours who are still traveling in the Desert Southwest where the temps are still in the 60’s called me to ask how we are doing. I think she called to rub in the temps and weather. She could have called yesterday, when it wasn’t snowing, but, oh, no, she called today, the day of the snow storm. They are in their RV and are heading north to Palm Springs, one of our favorite places to while away the Iowa winter. On the other hand, they spent all winter in Iowa last winter and I’m sure that I might have mentioned the temperatures where I was in Arizona and California to her a few times. I probably deserve a little pay back. In fact, I probably deserve a lot of payback. But, that doesn’t make the snow feel any better.
IMG_0080-2013-02-21-22-21.jpgBut there are some beautiful things about a snow fall. First is the silence that comes when the falling snow muffles every other noise. Secondly is the brightness of the world around you even at midnight. I took this picture with my IPad Mini at 11:00 pm.

It’s a wonderland out there: bright and quiet. Of course, that doesn’t mean that I’m going to go outdoors and frolic in the snow.

IMG_0087-2013-02-21-22-21.JPGAnd, the next morning when the sun came out, we got this view. Gorgeous. You’re probably wondering why that one single chair is there. Well, Gary and I need an antenna for our TV and the arm of the chair is where we clamp our antenna on, then hook it to a cable which runs into the house to the black box we have for our RV. Pretty antiquated - our RV is more up to date than this set-up.
Meanwhile Gary’s being the executor of his father’s estate and dealing with insurance agents (which his father was) transfer agents to transfer some stock and death certificates.

No comments:

Post a Comment