Thursday, January 10, 2013

Palm Springs - Errands or The Adventure Never Ends

Today is an errand day and what better way to begin errands than to make an ‘errand’ to a good breakfast restaurant? Gary and I prefer breakfast out over any other meal. Eating dinner out is too much food too late in the day and, by the time you get home and shower, it’s too late to get anything done. We can also read the newspaper during breakfast and eating dinner out at night we’d have to talk. Nothing against talk but Gary and I live together 24-7, experience most of the same things at the same time and can talk about them when they happen. Finally, truth to tell, dinner out costs more than Gary and I probably want to spend on a meal. But, you already knew that, right?

A friend of ours, Mary, who is very much in the know, recommended Don and Sweet Sue’s several years ago. We tried it then, enjoyed it and headed up there today. Again a delightful breakfast and a nice way to start the day. We’ve been having some problems with my computer backing up and connecting with our printer so have an appointment at the Apple store. However, before the 11:45 appointment, Gary wanted to try one more thing and the library was the choice. I can always occupy my time in a library and found a book about a guy who hiked 40 4000’ mountains in the White Mountains in 40 days with his dog, Atticus Finch. Someday I’ll have to read the rest of the book since I only got through the first 3 chapters.
VeryWindyDayinWestsideofValley-6-2013-01-10-20-59.jpg
Meanwhile, we noticed a wind storm building up and tumbleweeds tumbling around in the wash below. Looks like some people will have to dust.

At the Apple store - well, I only have Gary’s story about that since I stayed in the car and read on my I Pad. I would love to spend some time in the Apple store with the Apple I Pad mini but I’d probably come down with a severe case of I Pad envy and that’s not pretty. So I consoled myself with the I Pad I have. And, that’s not too difficult since I’ve got lots on it. I put some of our magazine subsctiptions on it, I’ve got crossword puzzles, I’ve got some books and some other stuff. It’s not too difficult to entertain myself with my I Pad.

Next was Costco. Now, Costco is not just a shopping errand, it’s a shopping adventure. Who among you who are Costco customers do not find it fun roaming the food aisles to see what new products they have? Who among you does not enjoy sampling all the foods they have on every corner tempting you to buy some new product? Today we sampled:

        mini cream puffs - heavenly

        spiral ham - and where would I keep a 10-lb ham in this motorhome?

        baked potato soup - delicious but a bowl contains 37% of your daily requirement of salt - Whoo-eee

        trail mix - good but I can’t have trail mix in the house - I have no will power

        gooey cinnamon rolls - delicious but ditto

        crackers with canned chicken on them - we’ve bought both of these in the past

        pizza mini-slices - we actually bought a package of these since the crust was as soft as a cloud

Do we need lunch now? Nope. But - could we find a space in our stomachs for one of their pure beef hot dogs? You bet.

Then home to unpack and try to stuff what we bought into our rather small home. On the whole, Costco is great if you live in a home and can buy 40-oz bags of shredded cheese, 48-count packs of toilet paper and 2-50 ounce jugs of laundry detergent. We are space-challenged to say te least and thus have to watch our purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment