Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mesa, AZ - Thanksgiving

I’m thinkin’ that I forgot to put in my turkey jokes before Thanksgiving. Well, I’m always a bit behind - that’s how I can prod Gary along. As if he needs prodding.

We certainly miss our families while we travel and think about them a lot. Of course, there is the usual phone call and we have spoken to all in the last few days. But, it’s not the same as being there.

I will say that the resort does a good job of arranging a big Thanksgiving dinner for all and, it’s a potluck so we get to try lots of different foods. We signed up several weeks ago for a table to sit at. The head of the table cooks a turkey furnished by the resort along with the potatoes and gravy. The rest of us at the table bring a dessert, a salad, a hot dish or - well, I brought my usual deviled eggs.

Meanwhile, I’ve got some turkey jokes for all of you to commemorate the day. The Halloween tradition in Des Moines is for each trick-and-treater to give a short joke before being given any candy. There must be a book that everyone passes around for the jokes because if we had 75 kids on a Halloween, we must have heard about 45 jokes. It got to the end that we knew them all. But it was cute and we loved it all.

gif_turkey002PR_c-2012-11-22-21-48.jpg

Why did the turkey cross the road?
(It was the chicken's day off!)

Why did the chewing gum cross the road?
(It was stuck on the turkey's foot!)

Why did the turkey cross the road twice?
(To prove he wasn't chicken!)

What do you get when a turkey lays an egg on top of a barn?
(An eggroll!)

Where do you find a turkey with no legs?
(Exactly where you left it!)

What do you call it when it rains turkeys?
(Foul weather!)

Why did the turkey sit on the tomahawk?
(To hatchet!)

Why did the police arrest the turkey?
(They suspected it of fowl play!)

Which side of a turkey has the most feathers?
(The outside!)

Why do turkeys lay eggs?
(If they dropped them, they'd break!)

What's the most musical part of a turkey?
(The drumstick!)

If fruit comes from a fruit tree, where does turkey come from?
(A poul-tree!)

What happened when the turkey got into a fight?
(He got the stuffing knocked out of him!)

But all joking aside, Gary and I have so much to be thankful for and we know it. There used to be a commercial on TV which had as its main theme:’ when you’ve got your health, you’ve got it all.’ Did I laugh at that when I was younger? You bet. I could think of lots of other things that I would rather have had: a neat car, a big house, lots of money, a cute boyfriend. You know, all the cool things. But, as I grew older, I realized that health determined so much in ones life. And, Gary and I are very thankful for our good health. We are thankful for our families too. And, again, families determine so much in the course of ones life. My parents loved me and taught me so much. And I have a great extended family from Iowa to California. And, by the way, I finally got that cute boyfriend I always wanted: Big Gar.  

I’m also thankful for all those I’ve lived with, worked with, laughed with, eaten with, traveled with, met along the road and especially those I can call close friends.

Gary and I are living our dreams and we know how lucky we are and how much we have to be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. And I am thankful to be a part of the family that you are thankful for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Betty,
    You must have heard us talking about you today. We were wondering how you all were doing and thought we'd call. You beat us to the punch. And, yes, I'm thankful for our California extended family.

    We hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete