Monday, October 8, 2012

Mesa, AZ - Vegas, Ads and Chocolate

VEGAS

A friend of mine recently visited Vegas on her way back home from Seattle, WA. She saw something that I’ve never seen and never throught of looking for. And, I’ll bet she’s seen something that you’ve never seen, too. THE LAS VEGAS PHONE BOOK YELLOW PAGES. And - she sent me a picture of some of the pages. Now, this is a family friendly blog and I can’t put those pictures in it. But - here’s a travel hint: the next time you’re in Vegas, pull out the yellow pages and take a short tour through the seamy side of Vegas.

But, then, you do not have to pull out the phone book to see the seamy side, you only have to walk the streets. Cars towing tailers down the main drag with huge lighted moving signs advertising women, groups of men (and sometimes women) standing on every corner flipping cards with women’s pictures on them. This permeats Vegas and is extremely depressing. I’ve seen families in Vegas and how parents explain all this to their kids is beyond me.

POLITICAL ADS

We’re listening to the national and local news down here in Phoenx. Now, as you probably know, Arizona tends to be fairly conservative although we’ve seen several signs that the senate seat might go Democratic. On the other hand, since it is somewhat conservative here, we don’t see many ads for the Presidential election. In fact, we haven’t seen even ONE ad for the presidential election. President Obama must figure that he doesn’t have a chance here and Governor Romney knows he’ll win the electoral votes in AZ and doesn’t need to advertise. So, you, who live in Iowa, think we’ve got it lucky, no political ads on TV. But, if you think that - you’d be awfully wrong. We can get 3 20-second ads in 1 minute for 3 minutes - that’s, 9, count them, 9, total ads, one right after another. Sometimes we’ll hear ad ad for Jeff Flake about how bad Joe Cremora is. The next ad is for Joe Cremora talking about how bad Jeff Flake is.

And are they ever nasty. I’ve heard only one good ad about any condidate since we’ve been here. Only one ad saying: ‘this is what I’ll do in Congress’ or ‘this is my background and why I think it will help Arizonans’, or ‘here’s what I’ve done in public office thus far and what it shows I believe in.’ Nope, only one positive ad in all the time we’ve been here. And, since it’s the middle of October, I expect it to get only worse.

The one good ad had the candidtate stand there facing the camera saying ‘this is what I’ve done in the past, this is what I believe, this is what I will do in the future, if you elect me.’ Only one ad - and thsi is the one for Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the infamous Joe Arpaio. I wouldn’t ever vote for Joe but I like his ad.

CHOCOLATE

It’s hot down her in Arizona. Now, I’m not complaining. I’m only explaining what we have missing in our house. We are missing
C H O C O L A T E
We always have some form of chocolate in our house, whether it be brownies, or chocolate chip cookies or the Russell Stover chocolates my father-in-law gives us. Usually we’ve got some semi-sweet chocolate chips in a plastic container with a handy dandy flip-top lid so all we have to do is flip that top and scoop out a small handful of the delicious little chocolate goodies to scarf down or savor individually, whichever desire hits us at the time. And, no, it’s not just the female here who is a chocolaholic. There is a certain guy, whose name will remain anonymous, who also favors chocoate.

But, because of the heat, I’ve not bought any chocolate chips for a while since they’d only melt in the 90 degree plus days. Today, however, we were in Costco and Gary saw the chocolate chips first and, looking at me with his pleading eyes, asked why we don’t have chocolate chips in the house. I patiently explained to him why but, fell for the sadness in his eyes and bought a bag. when we got back home with the chocolate chips in the car, we saw our neighbors out side and drifted over to talk with them. 1/2 hour later, we remembered the grocieries, and, sure enough, the chocolate chips were a bit soft. But, they are now safely ensconsed in our refrigerator in that handy dandy flip-top plastic container. WHEW.

DIGIN-2012-10-8-21-45.jpg

FORGET LOVE, I’D RATHER FALL IN CHOCOLATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment