Tuesday, July 17, 2012

WDM, IA - Clean as a Whistle

Another hot one and we walked in the local mall today. Because my colonoscopy prep starts at 5 p.m., we left the mall a bit earlier than the usual 4 miles we walk and headed over to the grocery store for two boxes of jello and to Office Depot to buy a box to pack the final Toby Jugs. While we were there, we noticed that they also serve as a Post Office and that I could take my 13 boxes there to mail. Great, that will be ever so much more convenient and faster than at the Post Office.

Our final stop was at the local TCBY where I enjoyed a ‘kid’ size ice cream cup with mocha almond fudge. If I can’t eat for the next 36+ hours, I want to go out in a blaze of treat. At home I finished off with a salad and that was that until after my colonoscopy on Tuesday.

We headed home and I finished up my packing for theToby Jugs so that I could send them off tomorrow. 13 boxes filled with Toby Jugs waiting for new owners who enjoy them as much as my parents and we have.

Later in the evening, I made Gary’s evening treat, made up 2 containers of jello and went to bed with dreams of food circling my head.

Monday, I got out the ingredients for Gary’s breakfast and one of my jello containers. This one was 2 cups of apricot. Clear jello - that is allowed. For lunch I had 2 cups of peach jello. In the picture below is the JUG filled with ‘flush’, water and cherry flavor that I will ‘get’ to drink. I have also laid out the three other flavor packets that I am not going to use. I am supposed to drink 1/2 of this jug starting at 3:30, one cup every 10 minutes. The directions recommend drinking it cold and fast. Even the manufacturer knows that this tastes like sour milk and warm alka seltzer mixed with goat spit.
NancyPreps-3-2012-07-17-20-33.jpg
I finished the first 1/2 of the jug about 4:30 getting more and more bloated. Gary counseled that the situation would soon take care of itself - and he was right. I spent the next hour or so mainly on the toilet feeling, as Dave Barry mentioned, like I was on a rocket booster.

Finally at 5:30, I got a break and had lemon jello for dinner. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. To say that I spent parts of the evening in the bathroom is stating the case mildly.

The instructions were, if one was to have a colonoscopy at 8:00, to get up at 3:30 and drink the final half of the jug: 1 cup every 10 minutes. This is getting better and better. Note to self: make your next colonoscopy app’t for 11:00 so you can forego the 3:30 alarm. 3:30 is bad enough with out having to drink this swill. However, there I was, at 3:30 drinking myself silly. Was I bloated? Was I headachy? Did I feel like a beached whale sitting in our lounge chair? I was also cold and sat there with a sweater on.

I do have to mention that Gary was up with me: he also got up at 3:30. What a guy. Finally, at 7:10 we headed over to the clinic, I was called into a prep room right away, answered some questions and the nurse prepped to get the needle into one of my veins for the intravenous. 2 tries and she called in Sonjii, who never misses on the first try. Oops. sure enough, my veins gave even her a run for the noney. (But the way, I tried to give blood once, had terrible trouble and they told me not to try again.) My right hand shows 3 of the places they tried. Finally the 4th try was successful and I was off for the procedure room.
NancyDoesn%252527tLikeNeedles--2012-07-17-20-33.jpg
They wheeled me back to a small room, called Gary in and, when I awoke, the doctor came in, told me that I was good to go for another 10 years and we left. And, that was that.

Back at home, you’d think I’d want to eat and you’d be right. But I wanted to sleep more. And, that was my afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment