Saturday, June 23, 2012

WDM, IA - A Lot About a Little

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I haven’t written as much this last month as I usually do. Well, firstly we’ve been a bit busy and secondly - we’re home in Des Moines and the adventures run more along the lines of getting our semi-annual dental visits rather than off-roading to a trail in the mountains. Now, be honest, how many of you really want to hear about our trip to the dentist? None? Well, neither do I. Reading about a trip to the dentist is slightly more boring than actually going. But, writing about a trip to the dentist strains every creative bone I have. Just how much can you say about a trip to the dentist?

I will say that we have lined up all of our appointments for these 3 months that we plan to be home. Gary has been to his dermatologist and his bone doctor and gotten a clean bill of health. We hit the dentist today and all we came out with were 2 toothbrushes, 2 flosses and 2 toothpaste boxes. No cavities, no crowns, no little cracks - nothing, nada, nil. And, isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be?

I have a mammogram and a colonoscopy scheduled and we both have eye and doctor visits scheduled. Oh, yeah, I just threw that colonoscopy in there to see if you were really awake. Yep, I’ve not indulged in ths pleasant extracurricular activity since the year 2000 and it’s my time. I am so excited. I picked up my empty gallon jug at the pharmacy yesterday and can’t wait to fill it full and drink all that ‘sweet tasting’ liquid in the requisite time. My sister-in-law tells me that NONE of the flavors mask the actual contents. The appointment is at 7:30 am so I’ve got to get up at 3:30 am and drink some more. The worst thing is that I can’t have any solid food after 5:00 pm on a Sunday and my appointment isn’t until 7:30 Tuesday.

Here’s the sweet thing: I also got my brother to schedule an appointment. Ha, Ha. Any day I can schedule my bro for a colonoscopy is a good day. Actually a friend of his has been urging him to get one but we’ve been waiting on that. The new health bill allows him preventative screenings and tests and this falls under that. So, he’s getting one done.

I also took a 6-hour class in digital photography held at a local Junior College. I got there 5 minutes early but later than the other 4 in the class. They had taken the 4 seats in front so my view was like this.
Nancyatphotographyclass-3-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg

Nancyatphotographyclass-2-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg
I saw the backs of everyone’s heads for 6 hours. An ok class but I thought it could be ever so much better if we could actually have taken some photos rather than listen to him the whole time.

One day we went to Costco and were leaving right about 12:30. Of course they have you leave right by their food area. Do they have huge pictures of their offerings? You betcha and that Mixed Berry Sunday looked mighty tempting. At $1.65, it was even financially appealing and a bargain I couldn’t pass up. Especially after I had seen several others walk past me spooning the berries and ice cream in with a silly grin on their faces. Come on, I have only so much will power. And here it is. You can’t see the other spoon there but, trust me on this, I couldn’t eat this all alone and Gary made the ultimate sacrifice and ate his share.
IceCreamSnackatCostco-1-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg
However, as I was doing more crunches, push-ups and and leg lifts, etc. than I usually do later in the afternoon, that early sundae looked less appealing.

We’re still emptying our back storeroom and finding things like these.
OurCassetteTapeLibrary-8-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg
We had 6 of these cassette holders which hold 30 cassettes each. How much work is represented here? Now I just download into the computer. How easy is this? And the sound is so much better than that copied onto tape.

We’ve also been up to Fort Dodge 3 times. No rest for the wicked. Gary’s father, Lug, likes to give us a little gift for the ride home and his choice this year is raisins. He gets these at Walmart and he swears that the new container is much smaller than the old one. Well, we happened to have one of the old containers at home (we can only eat raisins so fast) and he was right - note the size difference: the one on the left is the new container, taller but much narrower and 4 ounces less. Do you think that the new price is 4 ounces less? Not a chance.
MarketingChangesBoxSizes-5-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg
Also note that both of these are still unopened - we’re still working on the first one he gave us. We also bought some craisins in the meantime (at Costco - the usual Costco size - at least 50 lb bag).

Though Iowa is in a drought just as is much of the rest of the US, we did have rain for 2 days. The first day, it came down so fast that we could hardly see across the street at time. Of course, Gary wanted to check the gutters and here he is also checking on the gutters and some other running water.
OneHeavyRain-15-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg

OneHeavyRain-11-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg
And, no, we had no leaves in our gutters. Meanwhile, note the bricks around the hostas. Those are holding down the netting I’ve got over them to prevent the bunnies from enjoying the buffet I’ve put out for them. I don’t know which looks worse: bricks in the landscaping or nude hostas but bricks are cheaper than replacing hostas which we had to do. Here I am digging the holes to plant the new ones before we put the netting on.
Nancybattlesthebunnies-4-2012-06-23-12-14.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment