Thursday, December 22, 2011

AJ, AZ - Under the Weather

Today was a day inside. The weather here has been cooler and wetter than normal for Phoenix in the winter and we haven’t been doing as much hiking as we would like.

One of our neighbors stopped by to invite us to a wine cheese and cracker party tonight. We got to talking and she told me about her radical mastectomy in which she also had 21 lymph nodes cut out of her right arm. Now, I’m looking at her and thinking how good she looks, how healthy and how vibrant. I am always amazed at how resilient the human body and the human spirit are. That’s probably a pretty trite thing to say but isn’t it all true. We’re in a 55+ resort and there are all sort of illnesses here. People with walkers and with oxygen tanks. But, on the other hand, it is a very active community: everyone walks, ride bikes, golfs, hikes etc.

We've met some friends here (from Iowa, natch) and they invited us to a little wine gathering last week, along with the woman who had the mastectomy and her husband. Wine and cheese last week, wine and cheese this week. I'm thinking a birthday party with cake and ice cream next week for Gary's birthday. But it is interesting to have people invite us over. Usually, we don't spend enough time in any one place and are usually so busy doing our own things that we don't really meet people well enough to be invited over. I’m not saying that we don’t make friends and don’t talk with others much. We do all the time. Most RV parks and resorts are filled with very friendly people and it’s easy to get into a conversation.

I went out in the afternoon to buy a hostess gift for tonight and stood in line in back of this guy. Now, I’m just not used to seeing a guy carrying a gun in a grocery store. Does he expect to be attacked by a beet in the produce section? Does he think a little grey-haired lady will grab his English muffins in the bread aisle? I just don’t understand.
Notusedtothis-1-2011-12-22-14-42.jpg
Yesterday we were supposed to meet another couple (the ones from British Columbia whom we met earlier in October) at a pizza place with a mammoth organ, one of the largest in the US. We were supposed to meet them at 2:00 to tour their resort and then head over to pizza at 3:30. (We both thought this a bit early but went along with the program. We'll skip lunch and have a bigger bed time treat in the evening.) But, in the morning I noticed that I wasn’t feeling too well. So we called and postponed til next week. As the afternoon progressed, I started getting dizzy, headachy, crampy and, after dinner, I lost every single cookie I had eaten all day. Not a pleasant experience but I certainly was glad that I had cancelled the day's entertainment. I went to bed at 9:00, woke up at 8:00 and still feel a bit dragged out. But - not so dragged out that I can't go out tonight to the wine and cheese party tonight. You know me - the party animal.

2 comments:

  1. I think the only state crazier for guns may be Montana! You didn't mention the name of the pizza place--was it Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. It's a great place. Ron and I have been there twice. It's extremely crowded, so early is better--and you'll probably share a table. When we joined a table, we were told "You can only sit here if you're from Iowa, so where in Iowa are you from? I think he was taken back when I said Fort Dodge, but his friends at the table got a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherron,
    Yep, you guessed it - the restaurant is the Organ Stop Pizza. We have a raincheck for next Wednesday and are looking forward to it. I might have guessed that you'd be ahead of us. The popularity must be why we are going so early, at 3:30. I just can't imagine eating a pizza at 3:30 but then, new experiences are what we're looking for in our travels. Somehow, I though a 'new experience' would be a new trail or a new museum, not eating at a new time. Seems so prosaic.

    ReplyDelete