Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fort Dodge, IA - Planting the Flag

I know that you’re anxious to know how the flag pole story turned out and, while I don’t have the final entry, which would be the flag flying high and majestic on a new flag pole, I do have some more about the long process.

Lug had bought a new flag pole at Menards and the directions said that it would sit in a cement form which should be 16” by 24”. Somehow, in the translation, Gary heard that it was supposed to be in a 16” x 16” by 24” form and he set about building this in our garage. We knew it would be huge but that is what his father wanted. We also took up an old 5 gallon paint bucket thinking that this would be more appropriate for the flag pole that Lug had bought and hoping we could convice Lug of this.

We drove up to Fort Dodge early so that we would have time to work on the hole, the cement and the pole base. I actually took my work clothes but figured that it would be a 2-person job and I was not going to be one of the 2 people. Shucks. But, you know me, I’m the chronicler with the camera.

ConcretefornewFlagpole-4-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg


Lug had already dug a 21” x 20” hole by the time we got there. At 89, he’s out in the yard digging holes and piling the dirt into his wheelbarrow for the journey to the back yard. We wish he wouldn’t do this but he is still spry and wants to keep active. Gary unloaded the mammoth wooden form and we all knew it was too big, would require more digging (yech-h-h) and that 5-gallon paint container looked mighty inviting. Lug didn’t need too much convincing.

ConcretefornewFlagpole-12-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg


They put sand inthe bottom of the hole, cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket for drainage should water get into the pole itself, put the bucket into the hole and filled in around it with dirt - remember that dirt in the back yard? - they brought it back to the hole in the front yard in that same wheelbarrow. That dirt had a great round trip through Lug’s yard and hadn’t even had to go through security.

Meanwhile, after taking a few pictures, I went for a walk and ended up at HyVee, one of the local grocery stores. I thought I’d buy some bananas for lunch but, I smelled the aroma of the barbeque in front and heard the price of $1.00 hot dogs and $1.00 steak sandwiches. I knew my guy would want one of those (and a break from the flagpole project) and thought Lug might also. I called and they were on their way.

A $1.00 steak sandwich? I need to clean my ears. Yes, the hot dog was $1.00 but the steak sandwich was $7.00. And who would settle for a hot dog when there were cheese burgers and steaks on the grill? So, what I thought might be a cheap $3.00 meal for the 3 of us turned into an extravaganza of 2 cheese burgers and a steak sandwich for $13.00. And, Lug had said he’d pay. Oops. Well, at least I could donate the bananas for dessert.

ConcretefornewFlagpole-14-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg


Back in the front yard after lunch, they put the sleeve for the pole into the bucket and braced it in the middle. Gary mixed some cement and poured it while Lug tamped it down. Finally, finally, the flag pole project is nearing its end. Lug has confessed to us that he is losing sleep over this (he sometimes gets pretty anxious) and is looking forward to seeing it done. My brother called to tell us that it was supposed to rain so they then covered the cement with boards and plastic bags. And, yes, it did rain.

When all was done for the day, they posed by their masterpiece. The directions for the cement said to wait 5 days before putting up the flagpole so we were done for the day.

ConcretefornewFlagpole-26-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg



ConcretefornewFlagpole-30-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg


One last treat. Lug is having some problems reading the letters on his computer keyboard and Gary had bought some large letter stick ons. Inside, he began to put these on Lug’s keyboard and Lug was terribly pleased.

ToolforOlderEyes-7-2011-08-18-20-45.jpg



Jack, my brother then came over and I drove back to Des Moines in his truck while Gary followed in our car.

It’s the Iowa State Fair and we’re on our way tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment